It’s a bit of a wrench but I’m selling my current pride and joy, a recently converted VW T6 T30 highline. She’s now the third VW I have converted to a campervan and whilst learning the techniques and technicalities on each conversion I’ve also developed my styling and preferences to land on this Scandi inspired minimalist design, with a balance between clean natural aesthetics and practical camping features. As a professional carpenter I’ve loved using current design trends to create a relaxing and inviting interior space which also includes large amounts of storage and multi-functional elements.
- The van has covered 39,780 miles with full service history and has an MOT until March 2022.
- The exterior styling updates have consisted of primarily subtle changes, which maintain much of the original styling with an understated overall look.
- I’ve updated the wheels to banded 18 inch steels finished in ‘anthracite grey’
- The suspension was updated by Transporter HQ who completed the lowering on coilovers.
- All of the high gloss chrome has been removed and replaced with black carbon details.
She is finished in gloss black with all of the standard highline features including:
- Colour infotainment system with 6.5-inch touchscreen as standard which has inbuilt DAB radio, Bluetooth and Two USB connection
- Remote central locking on all doors (rear plus side door)
- Front fog lights that have inbuilt cornering function
- App-Connect compatible with Android and Apple phones giving hands free calls etc
- Alarm system fitted as standard
- Electric front windows for driver and passenger
- Heated door mirrors, electric adjustment from inside the cab
- Power steering
- Steering wheel adjustment (reach and rake so it can go up, down, forwards, backwards towards driver)
- Steering wheel comes with a hard-wearing leather rim
- Body-coloured bumpers, door mirrors and door handles
- Adaptive speed limiter cruise control
- Headlights and wipers with automatic setting
- Heated windscreen for cold starts
- Electric, heated and folding door mirrors
- Parking sensors
I had a clear vision for this van from the outset and wanted to create a unique interior that looked fresh and modern whilst also having lots of space for all your camping gear and the flexibility in terms of layout to transport larger items such as bikes etc. This 2017 van started out as an empty shell allowing me to design the build to my exact specifications.
The build process included:
- Using sound deadening sheets and insulating the sidewalls, roof, tailgate and floor with Kiravans thermo acoustic foam.
- Installing a navy textured rubber flooring, which offers extra sound deadening as well as being comfy underfoot.
- Choosing birch for the entirety of the wood interior. Cladding the whole space in a slatted design is both eye-catching and practical; it offers versatile hanging space and the option of slotting in removable shelves in any position.
- Installing LED lighting within the top of the wall plinth creating ambient warm movement-sensitive light.
- Installing a C-TeK split charge system and leisure battery, which offers USB charging points and 12v charging.
Camping and Storage features:
- Seating bench, which converts to standard size double bed using a pull out interlocking design. Upholstery is all brand new, created with fire retardant fabric and foam.
- Pull out box format cupboards under the seating bench for storage and use as a kitchen worktop/stove area. This simple but effective design means you can setup as a sheltered kitchen area under the open tailgate and the large boxes allow for storage of all your food and kitchen items.
- Seating bench includes a pull down locker style cupboard with a magazine/book/map rack on the end panel. There is also hidden storage behind the bench up until the wheel arch for bulkier items.
- A large cabinet opposite the bed has twin sliding doors with interior shelving and I have made a small removable coffee table, which fits between the bench and the cabinet, perfect for your cup of tea when sat in the van admiring the view!
The design of this van interior is the culmination of many years of professional finishing carpentry combined with a love of VW campers and the outdoors. It is completely unique and each element has been handmade to a high specification with quality long-lasting materials.
Viewings are highly recommended. Please let me know if you have any questions at all!