Just Kampers Forums

do i dont i - diy rock and roll bed.

Use this forum for your camper technical posts.

Postby mungy » Tue May 15, 2012 9:23 pm

i have a massive task on my hands getting my van sorted and was wondering how difficult it would be to make my own rock and roll bed?

im desperately trying to cut costs but not compromise on finish and quality. im pretty handy but dont want a lot of valuable time on the bed if its a massive faff and would be better off wanting to be able to afford to buy one. the van is full of rust and has no interior so every penny needs to be spent wisely.
mungy

Postby AshleyM » Tue May 15, 2012 10:50 pm

Don't do it!!!

I tried and failed with our old bay. Yes it worked (ish), yes it was cheap, but it was so unstable every time you moved there was a risk of collapse!!!! I'd say it's worth buying this bit and doing other things around it DIY.
AshleyM
JK Moderator

Re: do i dont i - diy rock and roll bed.

Postby fiddler » Tue May 15, 2012 11:32 pm

Especially if you plan to fit seat belts in the back.
fiddler

Postby schnecke » Wed May 16, 2012 10:53 am

another vote for "don't do it".

I wasn't happy with the R&R that came in schnecke when I bought him. I used bits of the hinges and have ended up with a lifting seat base (for access to storage) and a fall down back rest. Our bed is made over the engine cover and the back rest which works well BUT we did have a few gaps that needed filling. Time and cost dictated that we went this way but there were quite a few unforseen design compromises along the way.

Would I do it my way again? Quite probably. Now I know what I want and what I need to look out for I could do a better job than last time. However I would take a LOT more time to prepare it than I had last time.

And as stated directly above, I am sure my solution wouldn't be acceptable for rear seat passengers and seat belts. We NEVER carry passengers so this wasn't a consideration for us.
I liked my old signature.
I wish I could remember what it was.

Dave
schnecke

Postby mungy » Thu May 17, 2012 8:38 am

well you guys have made my mind up! thanks for the feedback.

i have a hell of a job just getting to all the rust so i will definitely save time and blood, sweat and tears by buying one.

its a shame because it would be nice to do it myself but i want the van to be ready for festival season next year and its going to be a struggle.
mungy

Postby ZedBed » Wed May 23, 2012 1:18 am

Do the rust and chuck a matress in the back. :)
I bought an Ebay RR bed, and it's ok, but it doesn't actually rock and roll i.e. to make it back into a bed you have to reach right over and lift the rear of the seat back. The only ones that really rock and roll are the westfalia ones afaik.
ZedBed

Postby mungy » Wed May 23, 2012 11:38 am

haha, thats what the missus keeps saying! might short cut the project so i can get an mot and a couple of months out of the van before the winter but i just dont want to get too side tracked. going to get a bed off JK in the winter probably.
mungy

Return to KamperTech