Just Kampers Forums

Leisure battery wiring

Use this forum for your camper technical posts.

Leisure battery wiring

Postby spdbrd » Mon May 30, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi all,
Eventuall after many years talking about it i have eventually got me a VW camper!! a lovely wee T25 autosleeper conversion with pop top and a 1.6 TD engine. wouldve preferred an aircooled but had been looking for ages and thisone seemed in good nick.

I have been trawling through the posts and google for a wiring diagram as to how to wire up a leisure battery. ( was suprised it wasnt sold with one from new).
The van only has wiring for the van battery. I would like the services for the van(fridge, lights ect) to be powered from the leisure batt.
Does anyone know how to achieve while seperating from the van batt except when charging from the alternator.
I have the just kamers L.Batt kit(£50 one) but the wiring diagram is well...pants.

any help will be greatly appriciated

thanks
Scott
spdbrd

Re: Leisure battery wiring

Postby reddwarf » Mon May 30, 2011 11:01 pm

Welcome, good choice of motor.

Where are you?

Come to Southernenders if you can and we'll get you sorted.

Otherwise loads of posts on this subject.
reddwarf

Postby ZedBed » Tue May 31, 2011 7:01 am

£50 and a wiring diagram for a caravan fridge that's too vague about the all important connection for the trigger voltage. Bit of a cheek when you can get all for about a tenner and work it out yourself. You'd think for the money that they'd have a VW camper specific diagram and a better relay.

Superhands on here will supply you with top-notch kit for about the same.
ZedBed

Postby dubbgd2me » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:44 am

Need to get a leisure battery sorted myself.

Straight forward enough job? What exactly is needed?
dubbgd2me

Postby ZedBed » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:57 pm

Do a search - there's loads of posts on the subject. How far you go with it depends what you plan to use on your leisure circuit. My preference is to just fit a split charger and a spare std battery and leave everything as it was. If the battery went to flat to start I swapped them over. Others like to run a whole new circuit from a purpose made leisure battery via an additional fuse box.
ZedBed

Postby entelecheia » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:33 am

What ever you do though - make sure that the line running between the live on the batteries is nice and fat. If the secondary battery goes very flat, when you next switch on the engine the main battery will dump a lot of current onto that line. I would say you are looking for a 40amp+ cable in that part of the circuit.

The one I removed from my van was made up from two, 'nice thick' pieces of wire in parallel. When I removed them they were completely fried, with the insulation burnt and hanging off!

The new stuff, which I got as part of a kit on e-bay, has got a 40amp cable run between batteries, and no sign of damage after 2 years.
entelecheia

Return to KamperTech