Just Kampers Forums

Zig CF9b and running 12v absorption fridge on EHU

Use this forum for your camper technical posts.

Zig CF9b and running 12v absorption fridge on EHU

Postby kuta93 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:50 am

Good afternoon everyone.

My brother in law has given me a Zig CF9 out of his caravan.

Some of you helped me a little while back with my absorption fridge when I had trouble with the mains lead. In short, the 3 way fridge (a SunnGas 45) only runs off gas and 12v now. In fact I have recently found out that this type of fridge was never designed to be run off gas inside a camper (to do with the venting capabilities).

So, I have a fridge that runs off 12v quite happily but not much else. I realise I can run the fridge off gas in its own utility tent etc but was wondering what any of you electrically minded people thought of running the fridge inside the van (on hook up) through the 12v conversion/transformer that’s integral to the CF9? I guess this could either be done direct from the leisure battery with the Zig charger replenishing as best it can, or directly through the Zig’s 12v generated power source.

Naturally I’m expecting a series of ‘Zigs are rubbish’ and ‘buy a new fridge’ comments!

Thanks
kuta93

Re: Zig CF9b and running 12v absorption fridge on EHU

Postby schnecke » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:58 am

Zigs are rubbish, buy a new fridge

TBH I know very little about zigs as I made my own distribution panel. The problem with absorption fridges is the current requirement. There will be a rating plate somewhere but expect about 100W which is about 8A (1000W/12V) so it comes down to, can the zig supply 8A (or rating plate) continuously. And if it is supplying the fridge with 8A is there anything left over to supply the other requirements.

I don't think the zig will care if you connect the fridge directly to it or to the LB, in both cases it will see the 8A drain. There is probably a theoretic better solution but I can't see there being a practical preference.

If you are unsure of the zig being capable have a look in Halfords to see the size cable needed for 16A (8A plus safety margin) then look in the zig to see what it is wired for. If the zig is wired with cable thinner than what you observed in Halfords I would suggest that you look at a different solution.
I liked my old signature.
I wish I could remember what it was.

Dave
schnecke

Postby bigherb » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:28 am

The Zig only has a 4.5A (54W) continous output. Most Fridges that use a heating element use around 6.25A (75W) continous, more power as they are heating up, which would overload the Zig. You would be better off using a dedicated leisure battery charger as the power source minimum 10A output for the fridge such as the ones supplied by Tanya.
http://www.tayna.co.uk/Leisure-Battery- ... 070-1.html
bigherb

Postby kuta93 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Thanks chaps. I particularly like your opening line schneke (!) and I like the idea of the beefed up charger bigherb. To be honest, it seems like I'm making all of my decisions around a pretty limited fridge! However, I know replacements, esp a compressor one which I would like, are very pricey. I'll do some chin rubbing and think about the sensible route forward. Thanks again for the info.
kuta93

Postby schnecke » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:23 am

glad to be of assistance :)

it looks like bigherb's charger will do everything the zig does but without the (low) reputation. Zigs were developed for caravans where alternator & battery are in different vehicles and are not totally right for a camper where the LB is always connected (via a switch/relay).
I liked my old signature.
I wish I could remember what it was.

Dave
schnecke

Return to KamperTech